Within the present boundaries of
Henry County, Alabama
By T. Larry Smith
Abbeville Academy – 1850’s
Abbeville Christian Private School –
Abbeville Elementary School -
Armstrong Academy - Armstrong Academy established in 1886, was located at Camp Springs.
Balkum -near Tumbleton 1888
Brackin School - was located near Camp Branch about 1816.
Browns Crossroads -
Camp Springs –
Center School -
Christian Home –
Clendinen School – 1900, Abbeville
Concord School –
Corbitt Springs -
County Line –
Forrest Home University - 1883 at Forrest Home, Alabama.
Hardy School – near Headland
Headland Academy – 1884
Headland Colored School –
Headland Elementary School
Headland High School – 1947
Headland Middle School -
Haleburg Colored School
Henry County Colored Training School -1914, near Abbeville, designed and built by Rosa Parks’ father, James McCauley, graduated over 1,300 students.
Henry County High School – The Alabama State Legislature ordered a new high school to be built in each county of the state. The Henry County High School was built in Headland, Alabama, in 1911. This school served the surrounding communities until it burned in 1945. It was replaced by Headland High School.
Irvin School- 1822, the first recorded school in Henry County, on first hill west of Franklin, the first town in Henry County across the Chattahoochee River from Fort Gaines, Georgia.
Jacksonian Enterprise School - The first black school in Newville was organized and a building was built. Prof. Abner Jackson was the principal/teacher and the school was incorporated as the Jacksonian Enterprise School, May 1894. The school was situated near the center of Henry County on the Abbeville Southern R.R., 13 miles from the Junction, where connection is made with the Alabama Midland R.R. In 1919, it would become Newville’s Rosenwald School.
Jones Valley –
Kirkland School – 1894, near Headland
Lawrenceville Academy – The Lawrenceville was established before 1840. It was the most important educational facility in East Alabama. The Academy burned several times. The Academy closed in 1888.
Mayo Academy-1884, near Headland
Mears Academy - 1890, at present Tumbleton.
Mt. Zion Colored School- Lawrenceville
New Prospect School - near Edwin
New Hope -
Newville School – 1881, a crude log building was built in Wells, Alabama to serve as a church and a school. In 1891, a modern (for the times) two-story structure was built on the sight where the Newville Baptist Church stands today. The upper story was used as “Grange Hall”. It was a secret farm society and this organization was largely responsible the erection of the building. The second floor of this building became a Lodge Hall. The first floor was used for the worship services and for the school. In 1903, Wells was incorporated as Newville, Alabama. In 1913, Grange Hall was torn down and the wood was used to build the new school. The new Newville School was built at the location of the present School building. In September of 1920, the Newville Public School became Newville Jr. High School. June 1929, Newville Jr. High School became Newville High School. It was in 1968, that the Newville School was finally closed. The Newville School building became a county middle school, a vocational school, an alternative school and emptied of all educational classes in 2007.
Oakey Grove -
Old Zion –
Otho School -1900, Screamer area
Piney Grove School -1850’s, Headland
Pleasant Grove -
Pleasant Hill –
Pond Bethel –
Union Opportunity School -1933, designed to teach adults how to read and write during the Great Depression, at Union.
Rocky Ridge –
Rosenwald Bronx Colored –Edwin
Rosenwald Colored School – In 1919, Lawrence “Bud” Cotton became the principal of the Jacksonian Enterprise Institute and it was then the, “Newville School”. Patrons and parents were the main support for the school. The Newville community requested assistance and received it from the Rosenwald Foundation. A new school was built and named Newville Rosenwald School. It would not be until the late 40’s Rosenwald would become a high school. In 1948, the Rosenwald School burned down and a new building was constructed. The now vacated school still stands and is a few hundred feet from the spot where the Jacksonian Enterprise School once stood. It was in 1968, that the Newville Rosenwald School was finally closed.
Smith School – 1930
Snell School –
Southeast Alabama Agricultural School & Jr. College – The Southeast Alabama Agriculture School in Abbeville, Alabama, was established in 1889. It was the first junior college and experiment station of Auburn University. It later became Abbeville high School.
Springfield Academy –1888
Tolbert School – 1890’s
Tumbleton Colored School –
Tumbleton Jr. High- 1927
Union Hill –
Wesley Colored School -
Weston - 1892 near Tumbleton
Zion School - 1892, Tumbleton