Churches

The First Baptist Church of Headland Celebrates It's 150th Anniversary

First Baptist Church Headland

This year marks the 150th anniversary of the founding of The First Baptist Church, Headland, Alabama in 1867. This milestone is being celebrated during the entire year of 2017. A special historical emphasis is being presented each month during the morning worship service. A major recognition of the anniversary is scheduled for Sunday, April 23rd. This special Sunday service will begin at 9:30 AM. During the service, the Celebration Choir will present a mini-musical titled, The Church Triumphant, by Bill and Gloria Gaither. There will be no Sunday School or evening ministries that day. The public is invited to celebrate with us. The church is located at 301 East Church Street, Headland, Alabama.

The following is a brief history of the church.

Our Heritage

The First Baptist Church of Headland was organized in the early part of 1867 as The Baptist Church of Christ at Bethlehem with an enrollment of eight members. The Church was admitted to the Judson Association as Beulah Church in the same year. The Rev. Thomas Scott was the first pastor and Bro. William Whitehead was the first deacon. J. S. Kirkland was the first member to be received for baptism after the church organized; he then served as the first church clerk.

Read more: The First Baptist Church of Headland Celebrates It's 150th Anniversary

A History of Liberty United Methodist Church

Liberty Church is located on Co. Rd. 92, just off 95 N., nine miles North of Abbeville, Alabama in the Screamer Community, NE Henry County. The property on which the church sits was deeded July 30, 1873, to the Trustees, Richard A. Whitehurst, William Fletcher Watford, and Daniel Jordan Peacock by Giles Jefferson (Tup) and Sarah Ann Dixon Peacock for use of the ministry and membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. It consisted of two acres. SE quarter of NW quarter of section 11, Township, 8, Range 28.

Read more: A History of Liberty United Methodist Church

History of New Zion Freewill Baptist Church

1890 - 1998
Tumbleton, Alabama

by T. Larry Smith

Presented today will be short brief synopsis of The History of the New Zion Freewill Baptist Church in Henry County, Alabama.  No church records are available before circa 1922.  Early church information is difficult to obtain and is an on-going process.  Anyone with church information prior to 1922, please share it with church historians.

Read more: History of New Zion Freewill Baptist Church

Newville Baptist Church Memories

By Roberta Whiddon Childs

In 1876, a group of people began meeting under a brush arbor in this community. I can just see those people in wagons or walking down dirt roads coming to Sunday meeting.  They did this for five years.

Read more: Newville Baptist Church Memories

New Prospect Free Will Baptist Church

By Linda Sowell

The New Prospect Free Will Baptist Church began its existence in 1874 when a traveling preacher named Chesshire rode through and determined that this community south of Texasville was in need of a church.  At the time, the area was thickly populated and the site had a cemetery known as the Cook graveyard which made it suitable for the erection of a bush arbor.

Read more: New Prospect Free Will Baptist Church

Mt. Sinai Baptist Church History

By Johnnie M. Anderson

Mount Sinai Baptist Church is located about three miles west of Newville, Alabama. The church was organized as a slave congregation in 1659. Up until that time the slaves in that area met with their owners’ families for worship.

Read more: Mt. Sinai Baptist Church History